Are you ready to add a little Mexican spice to your lunch?! In the MRC kitchen, we are huge fans of flavorful and ethnic foods! Taco Salad is just one of our favorite (and easiest) dishes that we’ve been cooking up lately. We use chicken breast in our recipe here, but you could absolutely use ground sirloin or ground buffalo if you prefer!
What’s even better is this dish makes the perfect meal for anywhere at any time! You can have it for lunch OR dinner. You can have this one at home. You can bring it to work. You can bring it to a picnic or party. Taco Salad here! Taco Salad there! Taco salad everywhere! Arriba!!
- 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts; diced (or lean ground turkey, buffalo, or chicken)
- 2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash Southwestern seasoning, divided in half
- 12 oz. Romaine Lettuce
- 4 oz. Tomatoes, diced
- 4 oz. Hass avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 servings of MRC Oven-Baked Tortilla Chips
- 2 oz. plain non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 3-4 Tbsp. Lime Juice
- ¼ C. Cilantro leaves, minced
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, heat chicken cubes over medium-high heat. While cooking, sprinkle 1 Tbsp. seasoning evenly across the chicken. Stir intermittently for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and allow chicken to rest while you assemble the salad.
- To a large plate or platter, layer your tortilla chips and sprinkle evenly with the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and cheese. Top with cooked chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lime juice, and remaining 1 Tbsp. of seasoning. Mix or whisk until evenly distributed.
- Finally, mix in the cilantro. Note: if you prefer a “thinner” sauce, you can add additional lime juice as desired.
- Evenly drizzle your dressing over the salad. Note: extra dressing will keep airtight for up to five days in the fridge and makes a great veggie dip!
Note: because we are using the yogurt dressing sparingly and as a drizzle, you do NOT need to count it towards your protein intake for the day.
Servings: 2. Replaces: 1 protein, 1 healthy fat, 1 vegetable, and 1 starch.