Zucchini boats! Aka "the new taco shell!" These boats are the perfect “holder” for almost anything from enchiladas to meatballs & marinara. When cooking with zucchini boats, you’ll cut them in half (lengthwise) and scoop out the inside with a melon baller (or just a spoon will work, too). We don’t use the inside flesh in this recipe, but you can save it for compost or use it in another recipe. For those who like a kick try adding some chopped fresh jalapeno to this recipe.
For enchilada sauce:
- 1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 2 pkg. MRC Tomato Basil HNS, prepared with 1-1/2 cups water*
- 1/2 tsp Ms. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning
- 2/3 C. low-sodium chicken broth
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
For zucchini boats:
- 32 oz. zucchini (about 4 medium)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 oz. green onions, chopped
- 1 oz. green pepper, diced
- 1/4 C. chopped cilantro
- 12 oz. chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- ½ tsp each: oregano, chili powder
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400.
- To make the sauce: in a saucepan, sauté garlic. Add chicken broth, MRC Tomato Basil supplement and seasoning. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the Zucchini Boats: Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, using a small spoon scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to large skillet on med-low heat. Add green onions, green pepper, oregano and chili powder, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add 12 oz. cooked chicken and cilantro to pan and sauté 3 more minutes, set mixture aside.
- In a large baking dish, place ¼ cup of enchilada sauce on bottom. Place zucchini halves on top, cut side up. Fill each boat evenly with chicken mixture, you may need to firmly press down to get it all to fit.
- Top each boat with enchilada sauce and sprinkle cheese evenly.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
*If you don't have Tomato Basil HNS, then you can substitute with 1 C of Pomi Tomato Sauce. Cut zucchini down to 24 oz. (about 3 medium).
Makes 4 servings | One serving (2 boats) replaces: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1/2 creamy HNS | *If using Pomi Tomato Sauce in place of Tomato Basil HNS, then one serving becomes 1.5 zucchini boats and no creamy HNS is replaced.