With warmer weather right around the corner, we’ve been trying out some “cooler” recipes over here in the MRC Kitchen. This Chilled Asparagus Soup is one of our favorites for the Spring and Summer months. It’s light, refreshing, and the perfect accompaniment to any late Spring or Summer meal!
What’s even better about this recipe is that it’s so smooth and creamy that it travels flawlessly in just about any container! Transporting from home to the office (or park or pool or beach or lake – you catch our drift) has never been easier. Just store in your favorite travel mug and go!
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 oz. Green Onion, diced
- 12 oz. Asparagus, cut into ½ in. pieces
- 2 C. low-sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp. Parsley, diced
- To taste: salt & pepper
- 4 oz. non-fat plain Greek Yogurt; separate out 1 tsp, ½ tsp, and ½ tsp
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the green onion and cook until tender, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and broth, and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until asparagus is very tender, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tsp. of Greek Yogurt.
- In a blender, puree the soup mixture. Note: you’ll want to leave the lid slightly ajar to let some steam escape.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Prior to serving, add remaining Greek yogurt (less the two ½ tsp servings that will be used as a topping)
- Season to taste as desired with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top each bowl with ½ tsp Greek yogurt and 1 tsp fresh parsley.
Servings 2. Replaces: 1 vegetable, ½ protein, 1 healthy fat