Broccoli Cheese Soup
Soups are such a great food choice for so many reasons! Versatility - you can enjoy them at lunch or dinner. Servings - you can make enough for the whole family in just one batch. Convenience - they're a make-ahead recipe. So why not try out our version of a soup classic, Broccoli Cheese Soup. This is perfect for the cool days ahead when you want something to warm you up. A delicious contrast between thick, creamy, and cheesy, this soup is sure to hit the spot! So dish it up tonight and you'll agree healthy comfort food never tasted so good!
- 2 C. low sodium broth
- 14 oz. broccoli, steamed until soft
- 2 oz. green onions
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 C. almond milk, unsweetened, unflavored (or other non-dairy milk)
- 4 pkg. Cream of Chicken with Vegetables HNS
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp Splenda (or one packet)
- Combine chicken broth, MRC Cream Of Chicken & Vegetable supplement, green onion, salt, pepper, and garlic in saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Allow soup to slightly cool and then pour soup into a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters).
- Blend until smooth.
- Steam broccoli until tender.
- Return soup to pan, and stir in milk, steamed broccoli, Splenda (optional) and 6 oz. of cheese.
- Warm until cheese melts.
- Pour in bowl, garnish with a few green onions, red pepper slivers, and remaining 2 oz cheese.
Makes four servings | One serving replaces: 4 oz. protein, 4 oz. vegetables, â€¨½ carbohydrate, and 1 Creamy HNS