Lemon Basil Zoodles
A big challenge when it comes to healthy eating is finding a healthy option or substitute for pasta. See, I love pasta, but let's just say pasta does not love me the same. It seems like if I even look at a plate of spaghetti, then I gain weight. I’m sure many of you know this same feeling all too well.
Here is the perfect recipe solution that will change the way you think about “pasta” forever. After purchasing a spiral slicer, I began making Zucchini Noodles. I instantly fell in love, and soon this became a dish I now make 2-3 times a week. I had request after request from friends and family asking me to teach them how to make this. I mean, what's not to love? GREAT flavor at less than 1/4th the calories of traditional pasta. This recipe is a great way to enjoy Zucchini Noodles with a crema like sauce made from one of my favorite healthy fats, avocados.
This dish pairs great with grilled chicken or shrimp (either served alongside or mixed right into it)!
- 24 oz. raw zucchini (about 3-4 medium)
- 6 oz. avocado
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 8 basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp each: sea salt, ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning
- Wash and cut off the ends of the zucchini. Spiralize zucchini into long spaghetti-like strands onto a cutting board, and use a knife to cut the strands into 5-6 inch noodles. In a food processor, combine pitted avocado, garlic, lemon juice, basil, pepper and sea salt, blending into a smooth, creamy paste. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add zoodles, cook for 2-3 minutes; then add Mrs. Dash to the zoodles and cook for another 2-3 minutes. You want the noodles to begin to soften, but not completely lose their shape.
- Remove skillet from the heat, toss the zoodles with the lemon basil sauce, and divide into 3 equal portions.
Makes 3 Servings | Serving Size: 1/3 recipe | One Serving Replaces: 1 vegetable, 1 healthy fat