When we think of the ultimate in party and tailgate foods, fried foods always come to mind first! Unfortunately, fried foods generally come with a lot of fat and cholesterol that are not good for our bodies and especially not for any kind of healthy eating regimen such as MRC. Have no fear! Always up for a good challenge, our MRC Kitchen staff has done it again, and we've remastered a party and restaurant favorite, Fried Pickles!
What makes Fried Pickles such a great MRC recipe is that it uses an ingredient that is a FREEBIE on your menu - pickes! The Melba Toast replace a carbohydrate serving with any meal of your choosing. Even though they are baked, the pickles maintain their crunchy form and the outside really does taste fried! We recommend bringing this recipe to your Super Bowl Party - but be sure to make extra because everyone is going to love it!
Baked "fried" Pickles
1 small jar pre-sliced Dill pickles
Fresh Dill, 2-3 sprigs
3-4 Melba Toast
To taste: black pepper, red chili flakes, Italian seasoning, powdered ginger
Walden Farms Ranch dressing, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam.
- Place pickles about 1/2 inch apart on a paper towel. This allows the moisture to be soaked from the pickles.
- While pickles are drying, in a food processor, combine melba toast, seasoning, and dill until well-combined. Pour crumb mixture onto a plate. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg.
- Dip the pickles in the egg one at a time, and then coat in the dill-seasoning mixture.
- Place coated pickles on cookie sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for 5 more minutes.
- For an added crunch, broil for 1 minute until brown and crispy.
- Enjoy plain or dip in Walden Farms Ranch dressing.
*in this recipe, our egg is used sparingly. It does not need to be counted as a part of your protein intake for the day.