You’ve probably noticed we’ve been doing several recipes with cauliflower lately, and this one is no exception. We simply LOVE how versatile this vegetable is and how closely it mirrors the cooking behavior and texture of carbohydrate-rich starches like rice, noodles, and dough. When combined with delicious and flavorful ingredients traditionally found in Macaroni & Cheese - such as extra sharp cheddar cheese and herbs & spices - you forget all about the fact that you’re actually eating a vegetable (and so do the kiddies!).
We also love cauliflower for its impressive array of nutrients: vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other phytochemicals that your body requires in order to run at its highest efficiency. Did you know that this superfood helps to boost heart health, brain health, digestive health, and reduces inflammation? That’s a lot of nutritious power packed into a tiny and delectable vegetable! Pair this side dish with your favorite starch or fruit, and you’ve got a satisfying and plan-friendly meal to enjoy for the next couple of days!
What you’ll need:
- 24 oz. cauliflower florets
- 4 oz. Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
- 4 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded. Split into 3 oz. and 1 oz. portions
- Splash of plain, unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
- To taste: Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper
- 4 ½ slices of bacon (optional)*
*For a full healthy fat serving, increase bacon to 9 slices
How to make:
- Remove the stems from your Cauliflower florets and steam the heads until soft. Drain, and return to the saucepan.
- Over medium-high heat, add cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and almond milk. Stir until incorporated.
- Add mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Once heated through (but not quite boiling), pour mixture into a casserole pan or baking dish.
- Cover with the remaining cheese, top with a little more pepper (to taste; optional)
- Broil until bubbly.
- While the “mac & cheese” is broiling, cook the bacon until crispy and let drain on a paper towel.
- Remove the “mac & cheese” from the oven and crumble the bacon over the mixture as a garnish.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Replaces: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, ½ healthy fat