Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
You’ve probably noticed we’ve been doing several recipes with cauliflower lately, and this one is no exception. We simply LOVE how versatile this vegetable is and how closely it mirrors the cooking behavior and texture of carbohydrate-rich starches like rice, noodles, and dough. When combined with delicious and flavorful ingredients traditionally found in Macaroni & Cheese - such as extra sharp cheddar cheese and herbs & spices - you forget all about the fact that you’re actually eating a vegetable (and so do the kiddies!).
We also love cauliflower for its impressive array of nutrients: vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other phytochemicals that your body requires in order to run at its highest efficiency. Did you know that this superfood helps to boost heart health, brain health, digestive health, and reduces inflammation? That’s a lot of nutritious power packed into a tiny and delectable vegetable! Pair this side dish with your favorite starch or fruit, and you’ve got a satisfying and plan-friendly meal to enjoy for the next couple of days!
- 24 oz. cauliflower florets
- 4-6 oz. Low-Fat Cottage Cheese*
- 4-6 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided*
- Splash of plain, unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
- To taste: Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper
- 225 calories of bacon (approximately 4 ½ slices)**
*MRC Clients actively on program: refer to your MRC Menu for your perfect protein portion size. This recipe utilizes one serving of low-fat cottage cheese and two servings of hard cheese.
**This recipe utilizes 1/2 of a healthy fat serving. If you want to up the bacon and use a full healthy fat serving for this recipe, then increase bacon to 450 calories worth (approximately 9 slices).
- Remove the stems from your cauliflower florets and steam the heads until soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add cottage cheese, 3/4 of the shredded cheese, and almond milk. Stir until incorporated.
- Add mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. And the caulflower back, and stir everything together.
- Once heated through (but not quite boiling), pour the mixture into a casserole pan or baking dish.
- Top with the remaining 1/4 of shredded cheese and broil in the oven until bubbly.
- While your mac & cheese is broiling, cook the bacon until crispy and let drain on a paper towel; keeping a close eye on the pan in the broiler to avoid burning.
- Remove the pan from the oven and crumble the bacon over the mixture as a garnish. You can also garnish with a handful of miced green onions or other fresh herbs.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Makes 3 Servings | Serving Size: 1/3 of dish | One Serving Replaces: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1/2 healthy fat