Oopsie Bread. Gluten Free, Low Carb
Oopsie bread came by its name honestly. These low carb rolls were created by mistake, and this is one mistake we are glad was made! They are flourless, low carb, and sugar free. To be fair, these are more like crepe rolled into a bun, or sponge bread rolls. They have a light, airy texture, and they will fall a bit flat after they are baked, almost like a puffy flat bread. This recipe could easily be made a bit sweeter with a dash of cinnamon, or more savory with seasonings like Italian seasoning, or even rosemary and thyme.
This recipe is for clients on our Meat Lovers Delight Menu.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 ounces (100 grams) full-fat cream cheese, cold, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Separate the eggs, making sure no yolk gets into the whites. Place egg whites in a clean, non-greasy bowl.
- Using a clean, non-greasy electric whisk, whip the egg whites and the cream of tartar until stiff. This step is important, as stiff peaks will help create a fluffier roll.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yolks, cream cheese and salt, until smooth.
- Using a spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture, working in small batches. Place a large dollop of egg whites on top of the yolk mixture, then gently fold the yolk mixture over the egg whites, rotating the bowl, working slowly, until the mixture is incorporated. Using this folding technique will help to keep the egg whites aerated and help maintain the peaks.
- Drop 6 large or 8 smaller mounds onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden-brown. Bread will have a spongy texture and appear golden brown when done.
- Cool a couple of minutes on baking sheet, then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store leftovers in a slightly open Ziploc bag in the fridge for a couple of days.
Menu: Meat Lovers Delight | Servings: 3 Replaces: 1 Fat Serving
Recipe adapted from: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Oopsie-Rolls-630057