You always know December is around the corner when Eggnog starts appearing in the dairy cooler at the grocery store. What other drink could be more traditional for the holidays than Eggnog? That could also be part of the reason why some people will gain 5-8 pounds during the holiday season. Did you know a single 8 oz glass of Eggnog is typically between 300-350 calories? That’s as many calories as most people’s breakfast! So we had to come up with a solution to this holiday dilemma and here it is: MRC EGGNOG! All the creamy, thick, delicious flavor you crave in this holiday drink without the weight gain.
- 1 c almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp rum extract
- Zero-Calorie Sweetener, to taste
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat combine egg, almond milk, and zero-calorie sweeteners.
- Stir continuously to prevent scorching and bring mixture to heat until it thickens just enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat; Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap (do not put plastic wrap on hot saucepan!) and refrigerate until the eggnog has cooled (3+ hours).
- Before serving garnish with a dash of nutmeg or even a cinnamon stick.
Makes one serving | Replaces: 1 carbohydrate, 1 egg (part of protein serving)