Meatballs are always a big hit at a party, they are easy to make, and they hold up for hours in the crockpot. Healthy meatballs (yes, you can use those two words together) are super easy by just following a few tips and utilizing some sneaky swaps. First, start by selecting a lean meat such a lean ground beef or ground turkey breast; don’t worry about losing the flavor because we’ll add that with sauces and seasoning. Adding garlic, green onion, and a pinch of Montreal Steak Seasoning adds depth and flavor to these meatballs. The key to a light, juicy meatball is DON’T OVERMIX, be sure to combine the ingredients just enough and then stop, if you over handle them they will become paper weights!
Serve these crowd pleasers straight from the crockpot, on fancy toothpicks as an appetizer, over spaghetti squash for a meal, oh the possibilities!
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 oz. green onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs or crushed Melba toast
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Fold ingredients together, try not to over handle the meat mixture. When well combined, roll into meatballs, any size is fine. Smaller meatballs are best for recipes and larger ones make great appetizers.
- Place on greased cookie sheet, cook for 20 minutes or until browned on outside. Now you can transfer to either a crockpot or stovetop pot. Crockpots are perfect for parties, place in crockpot and cover with your favorite sauce, keep on warm setting. You can also place them on the stovetop, cover with sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meatballs can be used as a meal, served as appetizers on skewers or toothpicks, or served straight from the crockpot. We love to cover ours in Walden Farms BBQ sauce, or for a spicy buffalo feel cover them in Frank’s Wing Sauce. They are also wonderful cooked with a diced tomato salsa.
Makes 4 servings | One serving replaces: 4 oz. protein, 1 carbohydrate, 1 oz. vegetables