Italian food is wonderful and who doesn't love cheese filled ravioli, but it's not always so kind to the waistline. Our very own foodie, Mariah, lightened up this Italian favorite for you. It is hard to believe but one serving of ravioli at Olive Garden has 810 calories, and that doesn't even inlcude the sauce, salad or breadsticks.
Our recipe uses thinly sliced zucchini instead of carbohydrate rich pasta. These gently folded zucchini layers make the perfect pockets for our cheesy filling. This recipe is low carb and gluten free, but don't let those facts make you frown because this recipe is high on flavor. One serving in 6-8 ravioli, which means in addition to big flavor there is plenty of volume.
- Zuchinni, 8 oz
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4c low fat ricotta cheese
- 2 oz. Chicken breast (ground or chopped finely)
- 1/8 tsp each: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, black pepper. (Or any additional seasoning you would like to include)
1. Slice the zucchini with the potato peeler or a cheese slicer in long flat strips. Using a food scale weigh an 8 oz portion of sliced zucchini for 1 MRC meal.
2. Mix low fat ricotta cheese and cooked chicken breast in bowl with seasonings for the filling.
3. Place two of the zucchini slices in a criss cross pattern (feel free to stack two when only the thin slices are left).
4. Put a good sized tablespoon of filling in the middle of the cross.
5. Fold the edges in alternating sides, and flip over and place in an oven proof dish, brush all over the zucchini raviolis with one tablespoon of olive oil and lightly season with Italian seasoning (or a seasoning of your choice)
7. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes.
8. Either eat the raviolis as so, or top with your favorite walden farms pasta sauce, or try our tomato basil soup as a delicious marinara, or make your own marinara from pureed and seasoned tomatoes.
Serving size: 1
Serving yields: 6-8 raviolis
Replaces: 1 protein serving, 1 vegetable serving