Looking for a new way to liven up a traditional burger? We've got the answer right here with our Zesty Salsa Burger. A perfectly seasoned and juicy patty is topped with melty cheese, crisp bacon, and a zesty homemade salsa to create this masterpiece. This is a great recipe option for a single meal, a backyard BBQ get together, or a quick dinner for the family. You can dress up your burger with an endless variety of toppings (we've given suggestions in the recipe) so everyone's tatste buds will be jumping for joy! Serve it wrapped in lettuce, on a 50 calorie bun, or even skip the bun and make 50 cal Baked Tortilla Chips to enjoy with your leftover salsa!
- 3 oz. lean ground beef, buffalo or turkey breast
- ¼ tsp. Low Sodium Montreal Steak Seasoning
- ½ oz. cheddar cheese, slice
- 1 slice uncured bacon, cooked
- 2 oz. Chunky Pepper Salsa (recipe follows)
Gently mix together ground meat and Montreal Steak Seasoning; form into patty. Use your thumb to make a shallow impression in middle of burger to allow even cooking. Grill patty over medium high heat until desired doneness. Quickly place cheese slice and bacon on hot burger. Finish off your burger with 2 oz of salsa.
Makes one serving | Replaces: 4 oz. protein*, 2 oz vegetables, 1 healthy fat
*Recipe may require adjustments for protein servings – refer to your menu for exact serving size
- Cheese – Try Pepper jack for a bit more kick!
- Salsa – The MRC Cookbook has a variety of salsa recipes for all different tastes!
- Condiments – Get creative. From simple yellow mustard & Walden Farms Ketchup to MRC Mayo or even those pickle slices!
- Meat – This burger would be great with lean beef, buffalo, turkey breast or even a mix.
- Buns – Your options are endless: lettuce leaf, 50 calorie pita, 50 calorie toast or even wrapped in a tortilla!
Chunky Pepper Salsa
- 4 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 oz. diced fresh green chilies
- 2 oz. diced colored bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. dried cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
- Coarse ground sea salt & pepper, to taste
Mix together all ingredients. For best results let flavors blend for several hours before serving.
Makes one serving | Replaces: 8 oz. vegetables