Flavorful portabella mushrooms hold up perfectly for filling with hearty ingredients like this cheesy bell pepper spinach stuffing. Our stuffed Portabellas are delicious & nutritious!
- 2 small Portobello mushrooms, stems removed and cleaned with a damp paper towel
- 1 oz green onion
- 1 oz chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 oz chopped spinach
- 2 oz low-fat ricotta cheese
- 3 Melba toast, blended into crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place mushroom caps, gill-side up, on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Brush caps with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and bake until caps soften ~ about 5 -10 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add green onion, red bell pepper, and garlic ~ sauté, stirring occasionally until onion is tender. About 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
- Drain the spinach mixture in a colander and press with spatula to remove excess moisture.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Ricotta cheese, Melba toast crumbs, parsley and Mrs. Dash seasoning.
- When the mushrooms are tender, carefully pour out any liquid accumulated in the caps.
- Return the caps to the pan gill-side up and put ½ of spinach mixture inside each cap and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Broil for 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Serving 2. 1 serving replaces: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1 healthy fat