Missing your Mexican food? No need, we have tons of ideas for adding a spicy kick to your meals, everything from fish tacos to tostadas. This recipe is devoted to one our favorites at MRC, the tostada. Start with a 50 calories corn tortilla, and where you go from there is up to you. You can top your tostada with ground beef or turkey or shredded chicken, then add diced veggies, roasted veggies, fresh salsa, or anything else you can dream up.
The key to skinny Mexican meals is great taco seasoning. You can make your own and keep it on hand (best option!), use a pinch of low-sodium packaged taco seasoning, or try McCormick's Perfect Pinch Mexican. When selecting a premade seasoning read the ingredient list and choose one without sugar and low in sodium.
- 12 oz lean ground beef (turkey or chicken)
- 4 corn tortillas (50 calories each)
- 2 oz shredded cheese
Homemade salsa - see below
- Shredded lettuce
- 2 TBSP Taco Seasoning
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves (no stems)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1. Mix all ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes or longer.
2. Mix taco seasoning and ground beef. Cook seasoned meat in skillet on medium heat until done, about 10 minutes.
3. Turn oven to broil. Place corn tortillas directly on oven rack, cook on each side for about 1 minute. When tortillas begin to brown, they are done. Remove from oven and let cool, they will become nice and crunchy.
4. Top each tortilla with 3 oz ground beef, 2 oz cheese, salsa and shredded lettuce. If you love sour cream on top, use a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt, it tastes exactly the same!
For clients on most MRC programs, top your tortilla with a combination of 8oz of salsa, lettuce and any other vegetables you like, or top with 4oz vegetables and enjoy with a 4oz side salad.