Voila! This dish IS just as fancy as the name implies, but it’s actually surprisingly simple to make! Impress all your friends at your next dinner party – or even just your family at dinner tonight – with these “Chicken Rolls”. Filled with a creamy ricotta-spinach mixture and baked to perfection, there’s not a single person who won’t be begging you for the recipe for this one!
The trick to this recipe is making sure you’ve pounded out the chicken to ¼ inch thickness. You’ll want to have as much room as possible to spread and fill your chicken breasts with this delicious filling, so a good beating to those chicken breasts is necessary…and may also help with alleviating some of the day’s stresses away! A cooking mallet is best for this purpose, but if you don’t have one, you could also use a plastic Ziploc bag (freezer safe) and a hammer, too!
- 6 oz. chicken breast, boneless & skinless
- To taste: your choice low-sodium/sodium-free seasoning, black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 oz. Green Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 4 oz. frozen Artichoke Hearts, chopped
- 3 oz. fresh Spinach, chopped
- ½ tsp. fresh Sage
- 2 oz. low-fat Ricotta Cheese
- ½ C low-sodium Chicken Broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pound the chicken breast until it’s about ¼ inch thick. Note: this recipe makes two servings, so you’ll want to divide your breasts into equal 3oz. portions.
- Season chicken with your choice of low-sodium or sodium-free seasoning and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add green onion and cook until tender.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant; about one minute.
- Stir in the artichoke hearts, spinach, and sage. Cook until spinach leaves have wilted; about two minutes.
- Remove any excess moisture by pressing mixture through a wire sieve.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the ricotta cheese. Divide the mixture in half.
- On each chicken breast, spread one half of the spinach-ricotta filling in the center; leaving a 1 inch border on all sides of the breast.
- Fold in the sides and roll up from the bottom (think like rolling a burrito!).
- Place the rolled chicken breast seam-side down in the greased baking dish.
- Pour broth over the chicken and bake until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F; about 20 minutes.
Serving size: 2. Replaces: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1 healthy fat.