First, we just love cheese, and we're always trying to come up with the next best (and healthy) way to incorporate cheese creatively into meals. Presenting...Parmesean Taco Shells! Fill these shells with Shredded Chicken (recipe below) or your favorite taco mix. All that's left to do is top with your favorite veggies, and ENJOY!
Shredded Chicken Taco Filling
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Garlic Power, to taste
- Taco seasoning: use McCormick 30% less sodium or a homemade taco seasoning
- Cook chicken breasts and allow to cool.
- Using two forks, shred chicken.
- Place chicken into the pan.
- Slowly add taco seasoning.
- Add ½- ¾ Cup of water.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of garlic powder. Mix well.
- Cook over medium heat until all water is absorbed. Note: a little bit of taco seasoning goes a long way, so measure out what suits your taste buds!
- Finely grated Parmesan, .5 oz per shell
- Non-stick 8-inch pan MUST be used.
- Turn stove on High Heat to get burner hot then turn down to Medium Heat.
- Fill the bottom of the hot, 8-inch pan, with Parmesan.
- Use 1/2 oz. Parmesan per taco shell.
- Flip shells with a THIN & FLEXIBLE spatula.
- Let shells get golden brown then loosen with your spatula and flip.
- Remove shell, and place in taco shell mold, or fold into taco shape (or keep it flat and call it a tostada!).
- Let cool for several minutes until Parmesan is crisp.
For most MRC menus you can use 3 oz chicken filling and .5 oz cheese as 1 serving of protein (refer to the combo section of your protein serving list). For larger taco shells you can use 1 oz cheese shells and fill with 2 oz protein.
To make it a complete meal: top with 1/4 cup black beans, 8 oz. lettuce, tomato, and other veggies.
Huge shout out to Cheryl and Wendy from our Vancouver, WA center for this recipe and pictures!