Egg Roll in a Bowl
When it comes to eating healthy, egg rolls generally are not the first food that comes to mind. And why would they? They’re deep fried in oil and wrapped in a carb-heavy shell! As far as weight loss goes, this food is not going to be your hero. But, did you know that the ingredients inside of an egg roll are all actually pretty healthy? So, we figured why not kick the oily outer shell to the curb and just put those healthy ingredients into a bowl?!
And this recipe tastes just like that - a deconstructed egg roll! But we think “egg roll in a bowl” is way more fun to say! All of the wonderful savory flavors of an egg roll without the added fat and carbs from a deep fried outer shell. If you’re a lover of Asian flavors, then this recipe is for you! If you’re a lover of minimal mess in the kitchen and quick meals that come together in under 30 minutes, then this recipe is also for you!
Our recipe makes two servings, but you can very easily double or triple as needed to feed all of the mouths at your table or make enough to meal prep for a handful of days. Leftovers store well in the fridge for 3-5 days and reheat easily in a skillet or right in the microwave. In fact, we find the flavors actually become stronger and better with time.
- 1.5 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 8-12 oz. lean ground turkey*
- 2 oz. green onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- ¼ C. chicken broth
- 13 oz. cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 oz. red bell pepper, julienned
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- 2 TBSP liquid aminos
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Pepper, to taste
- ½ TBSP sesame oil (optional)
- Place ¾ TBSP olive oil in a large skillet or wok, and cook turkey over medium heat, about 5 minutes.
- Remove turkey from wok or push turkey to the side of your skillet. Add the remaining ¾ TBSP olive oil to the wok or skillet and saute green onion and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pan to deglaze it, and add the cabbage, ginger, red bell pepper, liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, and pepper. If you previously removed the turkey from your wok or pan, add it back to the pan at this time.
- Stir all ingredients to combine; cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook covered for 12 minutes or until the cabbage has cooked down to your desired doneness.
- Once cooked through, remove pan from heat and serve warm. Top with sesame oil and garnish with more chopped green onions.
Makes 2 Servings | Serving Size: ½ skillet | One Serving Replaces: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, and 1 healthy fat
*MRC Clients refer to your menu for exact protein portions.
Variations & Additional Thoughts:
- If you are not going to use the Sesame Oil, then you can increase the Olive Oil in this recipe to 2 TBSP, divided. Simply increase olive oil to 1 TBSP each in Steps #1 and #2.
- The liquid aminos are key to getting that soy sauce flavor. If you really enjoy the flavor of soy sauce, you can easily increase the amount of liquid aminos to 2.5 TBSP
- The same goes for vinegar. If you want a stronger vinegar flavor, then increase to a full TBSP
- Traditional egg rolls have carrots. Slicing the red pepper very thinly will help to mimic the texture of this element that is not included with our recipe