Easy Pita Pizza
Have a hankering for Pizza? Our recipe for super easy & flavorful Pita Pizza is just for you! A crispy whole wheat pita crust replaces traditional carb-heavy dough and makes the perfect healthy pizza option! We kept our toppings simple with fresh ripe tomatoes, cheese, and torn spinach leaves. This is such a fun dinner to do with the whole family! Everyone can pick their favorite toppings and make their own custom pizza. Just be careful not to let your toppings get too heavy especially when using toppings like tomatoes. We used a paper towel to lightly pat our tomatoes after we sliced it to help absorb some moisture and make it lighter on the crust. So grab a pack of Joseph's Whole Wheat Pitas and make tonight Pizza night!
- 2 oz cheese
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil with Italian Seasonings
- 1 60 calorie pita, split open
- 1 large Roma tomato, about 3 oz
- Shredded or torn spinach leaves, optional
- In a small dish, combine olive and Italian seasoning.
- Allow to marinate for 20 or more minutes.
- Once olive oil is ready to split your pita in half, go slow and be careful to avoid the pita breaking.
- Brush one side with of each pita with olive oil and bake at 350 for 3-5 minutes until slightly browned.
- Remove and place Pita toasted side down on a baking rack, brush other side with remaining olive oil.
- Top with diced tomatoes, garlic or garlic powder and shredded cheese on each pita.
- Bake at 350 for 3-5 minutes until cheese bubbles.
- Top with shredded spinach.
Replaces: 1 serving carbohydrate, 2 oz hard cheese (protein) and 3 oz vegetables.
Note: This is great paired with a fresh green salad as a side to give you a full 8 oz of vegetables!