Wondering what's for dinner? How about an easy, delicious beef roast? Easy to prepare, perfectly cooked every time, and far more heart healthy than other cuts of beef. Keep reading and be inspired!
Did you know that the "eye of the round" cut of meat is one of the leanest, and it's one of the most affordable? So, what is "eye of the round?" "Round" is a polite term for rump (or bottom). Because these muscles get a lot of exercise, they are typically tougher. It also has less fat surrounding it. Normally you would use moist heat to cook these cuts. This recipe, however, uses high heat for a short amount of time to get the job done. For those of us trying to lose weight but aren't ready to give up red meat, this cut is perfect. No fat is necessary in the preparation which keeps it LEAN.
- Rump (round) cut of beef
- Salt & Pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 500.
- Season your roast with salt and pepper. Be as liberal or as conservative with your seasoning as you desire.
- Once your oven is preheated, place your roast in the oven - do not cover it or add liquid to the pan.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes at 500 and then turn the heat down to 475.
- For medium rare (as shown in the picture), continue cooking for 7 minutes per pound. Ex: a roast that is 2.5 pounds should be cooked for 17 minutes at 475.
- Turn off the heat, but DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR. Let the roast sit in the hot oven for an additional 90 minutes.
Serving size: 4-6 oz. protein (refer to your individual menu for the appropriate serving size)
Want to make it a complete meal? Try roasting 1 serving of seasoned new potatoes and asparagus covered in foil alongside your cut of beef. A mixture of Greek yogurt and horseradish can also make a delicious sauce to accompany the beef, too! Get creative and enjoy!