When the temperature heats up outside, one of the last things I want to do is turn on my oven. During the summer my grill is an essential part of my weekly cooking. It’s such an easy way to cook up enough chicken or fish for the week, AND it reduces my dishwashing duties down to nearly zilch. The Chicken Fajita Kabob recipe I’ve included at the end of this blog is a client favorite. This recipe is great for a normal weeknight dinner or for a barbecue get together with friends. Just make sure to if you are using wooden kabob skewers to soak them in water for about 30 minutes before threading with your ingredients. Otherwise you’ll have quite the charred skewer!
Chicken Fajita Kabobs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into ¾ inch pieces)
- 16 oz Red, Yellow and Green Bell Peppers (cut into ¾ inch pieces)
- 8 oz mushrooms, whole
- Skewers (if using wooden skewers soak in water for 20 min prior to use)
- In a small bowl, mix together all marinade ingredients.
- In a Ziploc bag combine your diced chicken breast and fajita marinade. Make sure chicken is well coated and sealed bag in the refrigerator for at least an hour (up to 8 hours).
- Once chicken is marinated and you are ready to cook, preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread chicken, peppers and mushrooms onto skewers.
- You can use a cooking spray light Pam High Heat on the grill to prevent sticking if desired. Place the kabobs on the grill and cook about 9-12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked throughout. Turn kabobs 1-2 times during cooking to allow even cooking.
- Once finished transfer to a platter and enjoy.
Servings: 4. Serving size: 1/4 of recipe. Replaces 4 oz. protein, 6oz vegetables.