Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
Today we are bringing you chicken nuggets baked to perfection in the air fryer! These golden juicy bites are sure to become a new favorite!
This recipe takes fresh chicken breast, cut into nugget sized bites, seasoned, dipped in egg, then in a breadcrumb/parmesan mixture. With the air fryer’s quick cook time, you will have these nuggets crisped up in about 8 minutes! Super easy and super delicious.
We made our own bread crumb mixture using crushed Melba Toast, freshly grated parmesan cheese and a few seasonings! This helps us cut down on the typical carb-dense coating while still providing that crispy exterior we desire from our nuggets!
When it comes to picking your parmesan cheese. You can either purchase a pre-portioned block or you can go to the deli section of your grocery store and get any size block of fresh parmesan to bring home and grate. This way you can control the amount based on how many servings you need. This recipe calls for two tablespoons, which roughly equates to a 1 oz block.
This recipe is bound to be a hit for the whole family! It even could be fun to have the kids participate in the kitchen. That is the great thing about air fryers! They are safe for kids to use. Only the inner basket heats up, so kids have less of a chance of burning themselves than using an oven or stove. You can make “shake N bake” baggies of the breadcrumb and parmesan mixture in zip lock bags for them to shake up and coat!
These chicken nuggets are also great to make ahead and then freeze. You can replace that typical bag of store-bought processed chicken nuggets in your freezer with this delicious and healthy alternative. Simply take out the amount you want, and re-heat in your air fryer!
- 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 5 Melba toast, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tbsp Ranch seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Trim any fat from chicken breast, cut into small pieces.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Place Melba toast in either a zip-lock bag or under parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, crush the crackers into breadcrumbs.
- Mix crushed breadcrumbs, parmesan, chili powder, and ranch seasoning in bowl.
- Beat egg in another small bowl
- Dip each piece of chicken in egg then the breadcrumb/Parmesan mixture
- Preheat air Fryer to 390 degrees for 4 minutes.
- Place in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to bake in two batches or more.
- Set timer to 8 minutes, but check on and shake up after 4-5 minutes. Then continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. You want the coating to start to turn golden, but not burn.
Replaces: 4 oz protein serving, 1 starch serving
What is an Air Fryer?
Think of Air Fryers like a mini countertop convection oven. Air fryers use a fan to circulate hot air evenly allowing the food to cook faster than many other methods. They only take a couple of minutes to preheat and most of the heat stays contained inside increasing the cooking speed 4x a typical stove or oven! And don’t let the word “Fryer” fool you, Air Fryers take less than a fraction of the oil typically used to deep-fry and yet is still able to achieve the same desired crispiness.