As the weather begins to warm a little bit, we find ourselves yearning to venture outside a little more again. Not quite in that miserable hot heat of Summer or to the bitter cold of Winter, we’ve still got some comfortably cooler nights left to enjoy. For many, that means getting outside with the family (whether people or pet) and enjoying a fire. And what goes hand in hand with a campfire? SMORES! There’s just something magical that happens when you mash a smokey, ooey-gooey chocolate and marshmallow flavor bomb between two crunchy graham crackers. The only problem (other than sometimes the huge mess)? This outdoor snack is loaded with sugar! Making it somewhat of a far-away dream for those of us who are limiting our sugar intake.
We’re excited to share with you today a play on Smores that keeps all of the flavors you love (yes, even that slight tinge of burnt marshmallows) without all of the sugar and calories! You might be wondering then, how we took this sugar sandwich and transformed it into something that still tastes good. Here it is: instead of graham crackers, we’re using a “graham cracker” inspired crumble featured in the MRC Cookbook (don’t worry, we provide the full instructions on how to create the crumble here). We’ve replaced melted chocolate bars with a packet of MRC’s Double Chocolate Pudding - rich, deep chocolate flavor with an added 15 g of protein. And we’ve swapped melted marshmallows for Walden Farms Marshmallow dip - a calorie-free and sugar-free alternative to traditional marshmallows. The secret ingredient and true hero of this dish though: a drop of “Burnt Sugar” flavored extract for that characteristic smoky, burnt marshmallow taste - without the char!
MRC Coach Tamara demonstrates how to create this delicious recipe in the video below. The full recipe and menu notes can also be found below. Enjoy this ultra-creative twist on an outdoor classic!
- 50 cal. Serving of Melba toast or other unflavored cracker
- ¼ TBSP olive oil
- ½ packet non-sugar sweetener
- 1 package MRC Double Chocolate Pudding
- 1 drop “Burnt Sugar” flavored extract
- Walden Farms Marshmallow dip
- Create the “graham cracker” crumble topping by crushing Melba toast and placing in a bowl. Add olive oil and non-sugar sweetener. Mix together, and set aside.
- Create the chocolate filling by mixing in a small bowl: 1 packet of MRC’s Double Chocolate Pudding according to package instructions. Pro tip: add 1 TBSP of water at a time until your desired consistency has been reached.
- Mix 1 droplet of Burnt Sugar flavored extract into your pudding bowl, and set aside.
- Assemble your Smores in a tall glass by alternating layers of the crust mixture, chocolate mixture, and Marshmallow dip. Add as many layers as you like until the chocolate mixture has been used up; finishing with the crumble topping.
Makes 1 Serving | Serving Size: entire recipe | Replaces: 1 carbohydrate serving, ¼ healthy fat serving, 1 creamy HNS