Buffalo Tuna Salad
Buffalo Chicken Dip meets Tuna Salad! If you’re a fan of spice (and/or looking for a different way to enjoy Tuna), then this is your dish! Tuna is a great protein option for weight loss and health in general. It’s lower in fat than poultry and meat and is a rich source of minerals and also boasts not one, but two essential omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA). Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to help lower triglycerides, slow the growth of atherosclerotic plaques, and prevent arrhythmias. All around, it’s a great choice for weight loss, but we know that sometimes it feels like there’s only “one way” to eat tuna and enjoy it - loaded with mayo (and usually far too much of it). Our recipe is here to show you that you can enjoy tuna just as much without those extra fats!
We’ve taken traditional tuna salad and replaced the mayo with hot sauce. Tuna salad is often served with relish - we’ve swapped that out for diced pickled jalapenos to add another layer of heat! Lastly we added a pinch of cheese for a sharper note and to provide that creaminess you find in mayo-based tuna salads and buffalo dips. The last step is to heat it up, give it a stir, and your meal is served!
If you’re in a hurry, the fastest and easiest way to prepare this one is to heat it in the microwave. But you could certainly prepare it over the stovetop as well. You just want to heat it long enough so the cheese begins to melt and you can get that creamier texture that you’ll find when using mayo in tuna salad or making a buffalo dip. Not feeling a warm tuna salad? No problem! There aren’t any ingredients in this recipe that have to be cooked before consumption; so, this one’s just as good with all the ingredients mixed together and served without the warming!
The best part about this recipe - aside from the deviation from your same old tuna salad routine - is the variety of ways that you can enjoy it! We put ours on top of Wasa Whole Grain crackers (MRC Clients following a menu: this would be your carbohydrate serving). You could also enjoy it with veggies: atop a bed of lettuce or use celery sticks and mini bell pepper halves as veggie dippers (MRC Clients following a menu: this would be your vegetable serving). Get creative and enjoy tuna again!
- 3-4 oz. white Albacore tuna, drained then weighed*
- ½ oz. cheese, shredded
- 1 TBSP pickled jalapenos, diced
- To taste: Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce
*MRC Clients: refer to your menu for exact protein serving size
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine tuna, cheese, jalapenos, and hot sauce. Add as much or as little hot sauce as you prefer (we used about a tablespoon’s worth).
- Microwave for 30-60 seconds, until cheese is melted.
- Mix again and serve warm; top with additional hot sauce as desired.
Makes 1 Serving | Serving Size: entire recipe | One Serving Replaces: 1 protein
- Over a bed of lettuce
- On top of a serving of crisp bread or crackers (we love Wasa Whole Grain crackers)
- As a dip for celery slices or mini pepper halves
- Mix in dry Ranch seasoning to create a Buffalo Ranch Tuna Salad/Dip