Are you getting worn out on the same old eggs and hardboiled egg recipes? Give this MRC-friendly remake on an eclectic recipe, Scotch Egg, a try! It dresses up your “boring old” hardboiled egg, has all the good stuff that you’ll love to eat, and it will still keep those pounds peeling off the scale!
Traditionally, a Scotch Egg is coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried in oil. We’ve lightened this recipe by replacing the bread crumbs with plan-friendly Melba toasts that have been crushed to mimic the consistency of breadcrumbs. Additionally, rather than deep frying this one, we oven bake our recipe!
With two full servings per recipe, you’ll have breakfast for two days this week, or you could also enjoy this one at lunch or dinner if preferred. Some prefer to have their Scotch egg with a pickle on the side. We say go for it because dill pickles are a “freebie” on your More menu!
- 6 oz. lean ground Chicken Breast or Buffalo
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash “Italian” seasoning
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 hard-boiled Eggs, peeled
- 4 Melba Toast rounds, blended into a fine powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix: ground chicken or buffalo, Mrs. Dash, and salt.
- Shape mixture into two equal-sized patties
- Take the boiled egg, and enclose with the meat patty.
- Dip each ball into the beaten egg and roll in Melba toast. Repeat as necessary until both are covered completely by the crushed Melba crumbs.
- Place both balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 35 minutes (or until meat is cooked through). Note: there should be no pink near the egg.
Servings: 2. Replaces: 1 protein, ½ carbohydrate