- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water mixed with MRC Chicken Bouillon HNS
- 6 Tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 11 oz. halved cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt and round black pepper
- 11 oz. finely chopped cucumber
- 2 oz. finely chopped green onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
- 2 C firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 C firmly packed fresh mint leaves, shredded
- Using a mesh strainer, rinse and drain the quinoa under cold water.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the quinoa, chicken bouillon HNS and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all of the broth is absorbed (10-15 minutes). When done, the grains will appear soft and translucent, and the germ ring will be visible along the outside edge. Transfer to a platter and spread evenly. Let it cool.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes in a colander or mesh strainer. Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with salt and set over the sink or a bowl and let drain for 10 minutes.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, transfer it to a large serving bowl. Add the tomatoes, the cucumber, scallions, garlic, remaining lemon juice (4 tablespoons) and the oil. Season with sea salt and ground pepper (to taste). Chill for at least 1 hour, or until ready to serve. Just before serving, stir in the parsley and mint. Enjoy!
Makes 6 servings. Serving size: 1/6 of bowl. Replaces: 1 carbohydrate, 4 oz. vegetable, 1 healthy fat.