- 1 C. quinoa
- 1 ½ C. low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 6 TBSP lemon juice, divided
- 11 oz. halved cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 11 oz. finely chopped cucumber
- 2 oz. finely chopped green onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 C. firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 C. firmly packed fresh mint leaves, shredded
- Using a mesh strainer, rinse and drain the quinoa under cold water.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the quinoa, chicken broth, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all of the broth is absorbed (about 10-15 minutes). When done, the grains will appear soft and translucent, and the germ ring will be visible along the outside edge.
- Transfer to a platter, spread evenly, and let cool.
- While the quinoa is cooling, place the tomatoes in a colander or mesh strainer. Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with salt and set over the sink or a bowl and let drain for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cooled quinoa to a large serving bowl, and add the tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, garlic, remaining lemon juice (4 tablespoons) and the oil. Toss to combine and season with sea salt and ground pepper, to taste.
- Let chill in the fridge for at least one hour or until ready to serve.
- Stir in the parsley and mint just before serving and enjoy!
Makes 6 Servings | Serving Size: 1/6 of bowl | One Serving Replaces: 1 carbohydrate, 1/2 vegetable, 1 healthy fat.