Green Bean Casserole is an all time holiday favorite, it's synonymous with Thanksgiving, but the typical 1 cup serving has over 230 calories!?! We've lightened up the recipe, while keeping all the savory, creamy good flavor. Using MRC Cream of Chicken soup is a smart swap, adding 12 grams of protein and saving 5 grams of bad fat, score! We use frozen green beans and mushrooms in this version, but fresh vegetable would work great too, just adjust your cooking time or steam the veggies a bit first. This recipe contains 1 TBSP grassfed butter, but you could increase it to 2 TBSP for a richer flavor, each serving would then replace 1 healthy fat serving.
The crushed Melba rounds are used in place on "fried onions", this saves your heart from that crazy bad fat, while retaining all the crunchy onion flavor.
- 6 oz. frozen French cut green beans, thawed and drained
- 1 pkg. MRC Cream of Chicken Soup, prepared in 6 oz. water
- 1 TBSP Grassfed Butter
- 2 oz. Frozen Mushrooms, thawed and drained
- 4 onion flavored Melba rounds, crushed Place Melba toast in food processor and crush to bread crumb consistency.
- Sauté green beans and mushrooms until tender, approx. 5 minutes.
- Place in small baking dish add soup and butter.
- Cook at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Top with Melba and cook 5 minutes.