Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms
Mushrooms, in some ways, are treated as the “fruitcake” of the vegetable world – because of their monochromatic appearance and unique flavor, many disregard mushrooms as a vegetable option on program - or in general. We, at MRC, embrace the uniqueness of the mushroom (not to mention its abundance of vitamins and nutrients), and have created a dish that will leave you craving mushrooms for the next week! Dressed up with shredded chicken, creamy Greek yogurt, and some Frank’s hot sauce for the perfect “punch” of flavor, our Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms are going to be a new favorite.
Never shy away from mushrooms again, and here’s why - mushrooms are naturally low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium. They are also providers of the important nutrients of selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, and Vitamin D, just to name a few. You’ll be glad that this recipe makes 4 servings – enough for a couple days or to share with family and friends. You could even bring a plateful of these delicious caps to an upcoming party or gathering! We think these are amazing just as they are, but you can also serve them with a serving of low calorie blue cheese dressing such as Walden Farms or Bolthouse Farms!
- 16 oz. large mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 4-6 oz.* plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 8-12 oz.* cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2-3 oz.* Parmesan cheese, grated
*MRC Clients: refer to your menu for specific protein portion sizes. This recipe uses 1 serving Greek yogurt, 2 servings chicken breast, and 1 serving cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Clean the mushrooms by wiping with a slightly damp paper towel. Remove stems and discard or save to be used later as a vegetable serving.
- In a small bowl, combine the hot sauce, chicken, and yogurt. Divide the mixture into equal parts and stuff into each mushroom cap. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly over the stuffed caps.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until slightly browned on top. Note: Mushrooms will have cooked down a bit.
Makes 4 Servings | Serving Size: 3 stuffed mushrooms | One Serving Replaces: 1 protein, 1/2 vegetable