Apple Fennel Salad
Apples and fennel, together? Absolutely! These two very different flavors compliment each other with culinary perfection! Your taste buds will be astounded when you hit them with the bright white, juicy, crisp, tart and subtly sweet Granny Smith Apple and then with Fennel; of one of the most underused and delicious vegetables out there! Imparting a light, bright spring-like quality to food, fennel has a sweet, anise-like flavor.
Oh, and we can’t leave out the health benefits! The vitamin and mineral content of this dynamic duo helps with cell repairing antioxidants, building and maintaining strength of bone structure, better blood pressure and heart health, cancer prevention, immune system, inflammation, increased metabolism, digestion, regularity (soluble fiber), weight control, blood sugar regulation, cholesterol lowering, and who couldn’t benefit from a little more vitamins A, C, iron, potassium and calcium? Say yes to something new and try MRC’s “Apple Fennel Salad”!
- 3 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice (add more to taste)
- 1/4 C Virgin Olive Oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 oz fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apples, small, halved, cored, & thinly sliced
- 3 oz celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 oz green onion
- 3 oz cucumber, seeded, & thinly sliced
- 2 oz roasted walnuts, coarsely chopped, optional
- 2 oz cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, optional
Add 2 oz more of protein to complete meal
- In a mason jar, add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add salt and pepper to taste (I use 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Put the lid on securely and shake to combine until dressing is emulsified. Add and taste to adjust salt/pepper/lemon as needed.
- Using a mandolin slicer, thinly slice the fennel bulb. Cut the apples in half and then half again. Remove the core and then thinly slice all the apples on the mandolin slicer. Thinly slice the celery on the mandolin. Cut cucumbers in half, remove seeds and slice thinly on mandolin slicer. Chop green onion up into small pieces. Place fennel, apple, cucumber, green onion and celery in a large bowl.
- Gently toss salad with dressing. Right before serving add roasted walnuts and freshly shaved/grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Enjoy!
Replaces: 1 carb, 2 oz protein, 1 vegetable, 1 healthy fat
Serving Size: 1