Hawaiian Cauliflower Rice
Increasingly, cauliflower has become a rock star ingredient in the kitchen. It's one of the most versatile vegetables (paralleled possibly only by potatoes - but with only a fraction of the calories and carbohydrates!). We love cooking with this vegetable, especially to recreate healthier versions of mealtime and restaurant favorites. Our Hawaiian Cauliflower Rice is an ultra-healthy version of what you'll see on many menus and restaurants that serve Asian cuisine listed as Pineapple Fried Rice.
As is common with nearly all rice dishes, the flavor that you love doesn't live in the rice...rather, it lives in all of the other ingredients that you add to the rice. So, this recipe - while replacing the rice entirely - loses NONE of the great flavors you love in a good fried rice! As far as recipes go, this one's fairly quick and easy. If you're really pressed for time, though, you can opt for pre-riced cauliflower in a bag from the grocery store rather than ricing your own at home.
- 6 oz. cauliflower, riced
- 1 TBSP coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 C. pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 2 eggs
- 1 oz. green onion
- 1 oz. red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 TBSP Liquid Aminos (coconut, Braggs, etc.)
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- Optional: diced fresh jalapeno
- In a skillet or wok over medium heat sprayed lightly with cooking spray, saute green onion and bell pepper until soft, about 2 minutes. If using fresh minced garlic, add and cook with this step. If using garlic powder, wait until Step 5.
- Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- Break eggs into the hot skillet and scramble. Once cooked through, remove from heat and add to the bowl with veggies.
- Add 1 TBSP oil to skillet over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower rice and saute for a few minutes, just until cauliflower rice is heated through.
- Add back to the skillet with the rice: cooked eggs, veggies from Step 1, pineapple, garlic powder (if not using fresh minced), liquid aminos, ginger, paprika, and chili powder.
- Stir and reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until all ingredients are heated through. Garnish with fresh diced jalapenos for a little kick!
Makes 1 Serving | Serving Size: 1 bowl | One Serving Replaces: 1 protein, 1 healthy fat, 1 vegetable, and 1 carbohydrate.