Green Chili Enchiladas
Green Chili Enchiladas were once considered "off limits" when it came to weight loss recipes, but not any more! With an abundance of delicious 50-calorie tortillas on the shelf and lots of healthy green chili sauces to choose from, this recipe is the perfect accompaniment to a healthier lifestyle! This recipe is as easy to prepare as it is delicious to eat. It only takes 10 minutes of prep time with a handful of simple ingredients. We're sharing this recipe with how we like it best, but you can adapt it to fit your palate (and the palates of others in your household). Add and subtract as you need to meet everyone's tatstes!
We've used chicken breast in our recipe because (1) it's ultra-lean and (2) we actually really just love the flavor of chicken with green chili sauce. But you could certainly swap it out for lean ground sirloin, lean buffalo, shredded turkey breast, lean ground turkey breast or even tofu! Our favorite side for this dish is seasoned cauliflower rice. If you want to go "all out" with your rice, then we recommend adding a few green chilis and diced green onion to your cauliflower rice to give it a complimentary flair to the enchiladas. You can also mix in fresh salsa and top with homemade guacamole!
- 12-18 oz.* chicken, shredded or torn
- 4-6 oz.* plain, non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 4-6 oz.* cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese, grated and divided
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced (or 1/4-1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 6 low-calorie tortillas (approximately 50 calories per tortilla)
- 1 10 oz. can Green Enchilada Sauce (less than 3g carbs per 1/4 C. serving)
- 1/4 C. green chiles, diced and divided
*MRC Clients: refer to your menu for exact portion sizes of these proteins (3 servings chicken breast, 1 serving Greek yogurt, 2 servings cheese)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare your enchilada filling by combining shredded chicken, Greek yogurt, half of your grated cheese, garlic (or garlic powder), and half of your green chiles in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, heat your green enchilada sauce until it reaches a boil (approximately 5 minutes). Add remaining green chiles, stir, and remove from heat.
- Pour 1/3 of the heated sauce into the bowl with filling and stir to combine.
- Divide the filling evenly among your tortillas, and fold each tortilla like a burrito.
- Arrange tortillas in your rectangular baking dish and top with the remaining enchilada sauce and the other half of cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
Makes: 6 Servings | Serving Size: 1 enchilada | One Serving Replaces: 1 protein, 1 carbohydrate