When you think of Super Bowl a few things come to mind: football, funny commercials, and FOOD! With food often being a centerpiece of this social setting, it may feel impossible to stay on program. Well, this year is going to be different! You CAN enjoy your Super Bowl and eat your foods, too. The trick, finding program-friendly foods that don't leave your guests feeling like your weight loss program is a group effort. All it takes is being a little creative in the kitchen! This year we have an idea that will make your taste buds, and your guests, very pleased.
Hello Fajita Bar!
Fajitas are delicious, convenient, inexpensive and diverse. This means you can provide a program friendly meal for all to enjoy! Take a peek at the list we’ve created for you to create your very own Fajita Bar! Want to make it even more budget friendly? Divide and conquer by asking your guests to each bring something from the list! Bonus: most everything can be prepared the night prior to your party and reheated in your oven or crockpots. Here’s what you’ll need:
Offer a variety of ways to wrap up your meal, or even serve it on a bed of lettuce for a delicious fajita salad! Here are our favorites:
- La Tortilla Factory Tortilla (50-calories each)
- Lettuce Wraps - 1 head cabbage, romaine, or even butter lettuce work great!
- Salad – 1-2 bags of mixed greens is perfect to create your own fajita salad.
Serving a variety of proteins will give you and your guests options. Remember that cheese counts as your protein, so cut back an ounce of meat to compensate for 1/2 oz. of cheese. Here are some of our favorites:
- Shrimp or Fish
- Ground Turkey or Beef
Load up! The list is endless when it comes to piling up on veggies. Choose any vegetable from your menu or go for the standard bell pepper trio! (Hint: sauté a variety of peppers with fresh cut scallions and onion salt for that original onion taste without the added sugar!)
- Black beans. Toss black beans on top of a lettuce wrap or salad to replace your carbohydrate.
- Avocado. Bring on the healthy fat by serving sliced avocado or even MRC’s Guacamole for a delicious topping! (see recipe below)
- Salsa. Remember most salsas will count as part of your veggie serving, so don’t forget to do the math! (see recipe below)
- Baked Tortilla Chips. Skip the plain tortilla and top with chips to replace your carbohydrate serving.
Additional recipe ideas to complete your Fajita bar!
- 8 oz Hass avocados, chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 8 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 small clove garlic, mashed
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro
- chopped jalapeno (to taste, if you're spicy)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Place chopped avocado in a mixing bowl and slightly mash with a fork leaving it chunky. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
This recipe makes 4 servings, to keep the guacamole from turning brown place the pit in the bowl with the guacamole and cover (this is great for same day). To keep it fresh for up to three days place guacamole in a bowl with a tight fitting lid, pack tightly pressing out any air bubbles. Drop room temp water over the top, about 1/2 inch high. Place lid on and store for up to 3 days. When you are ready to each simply pour the water off the top and enjoy!
1/4 recipe replaces 1 fat serving and 2 oz of your vegetable serving
Instant Fire Salsa:
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp. of fresh cilantro, chopped
Mix together & let flavors blend overnight or for several hours.
3 servings. Recipe replaces 4 oz of your vegetable serving.
TIP: Triple this recipe and store it in a mason jar. It's wonderful on eggs at breakfast or chicken at dinner.
Baked Tortilla Chips
- 3 La Tortilla Factory Tortilla (50-calories each)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Course Ground Sea Salt
Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Cut tortillas into 8 triangles or if you prefer round chips use a round cookie cutter. Place cut tortillas on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven and flip chips to other side. Bake for additional 6-7 or until crispy and golden brown. Pay close attention in the last few minutes as these chips can burn easily!
3 servings. Replaces 1 carbohydrate serving.
Dry Salsa – great for seasoning steak strips
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. lemon powder
- ½ tsp. dried cilantro, crushed
Combine all ingredients & rub well into steaks. Refrigerate 3 hours or longer before cooking steak; makes enough for 6 1-lb steaks.
This spice is FREE on MRC Programs!
MRC Ranch Dressing
- 16 oz. low-fat cottage cheese (1%)
- ½ pkg fat-free Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix
- 2-4 oz. of water
Blend all ingredients and enjoy!
1 Tbsp = 1 serving.