Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
We’re getting a little spicy in the MRC kitchen today with our Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers! “What?! This is an MRC-friendly recipe that I can eat on my program?!” YES! All of that cheesy bacon-y goodness is A-OK. And you’re going to love what we’ve done with this appetizer and snack favorite that is perfect for your upcoming Super Bowl party!
This recipe has just the right amount of kick that almost anyone can enjoy. You’ll see that we recommend one additional step of broiling the poppers a few minutes at the end of cooking. This gives the jalapenos a nice roasted flavor, and it ensures that your bacon will have just the right amount of crisp! For an extra kick of heat, top with your favorite hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes.
What you’ll need:
- 9 fresh Jalapeno Peppers
- 8 oz low fat Cottage Cheese
- 8 oz lean Ground Buffalo, cooked
- 6 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 9 slices Bacon, cut in half
- 4 green onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet (with sides) with aluminum foil.
- Cut the jalapenos in half length-wise. Remove seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine: cottage cheese, green onion, cooked buffalo, and cheddar cheese.
- Spoon filling into halved jalapenos.
- In the microwave or on the stovetop, cook the bacon just until it begins to brown (a few minutes). Note: you want the bacon to remain soft and pliable.
- After the bacon has cooled, wrap one half-slice around each jalapeno boat. Secure it with a toothpick.
- Arrange jalapeno halves on a foil-lined cookie sheet, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes; watching carefully to make sure the jalapeno poppers don’t burn.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for a few minutes before consuming.
Makes: 9 servings. Serving size: 2 jalapeno popper halves (1 whole jalapeno). Replaces: 1 healthy fat serving; 1 protein serving