Easy Stovetop Shakshuka
Shakshuka. A Mediterranean dish consisting of eggs poached in a tomato and vegetable sauce that’s honestly more difficult to pronounce than it is to prepare. Our easy variation doesn’t even require the use of your oven. Just one pan on the stovetop and about 30 minutes is all it takes from start to finish - making it a great option for a quick and healthy dinner the whole family can enjoy (or you can enjoy over the next few days at breakfast, lunch, or dinner).
There are as many different ways to prepare and enjoy this dish as there are colors of the rainbow. In fact, about the only two true consistencies you’ll see with this dish are the eggs and the tomato sauce. Otherwise, it’s all about the vegetables and spices that you love (or perhaps the ones that happen to be one day away from being no good and you need a place to use them before they expire!).
This dish is a great option for those looking to eat more healthy plant-based meals because it’s naturally vegetarian (did we mention it’s also low-carb and gluten-free?) But you can easily further customize this one to fit your dietary preferences as needed. Omit the cheese for those who are avoiding lactose. Or, swap half of the eggs for a serving of shrimp or cooked chicken breast to incorporate animal-based protein. No tomatoes on hand? No problem! Just increase the Pomi tomato sauce serving size to two cups. Swap the spinach for kale or another dark leafy green of choice. Looking to kick the spice up even further? Throw in half of a diced jalapeno with the bell peppers! This dish is all about you and the flavors and vegetables you enjoy!
- 4 oz. bell peppers, diced
- 4 oz. spinach leaves
- 1 ½ C. Pomi tomato sauce
- 4 oz. tomatoes, diced and crushed
- 1 tsp. each: garlic powder, thyme, basil
- 1/2 tsp. each: sea salt, black pepper, marjoram
- Optional: crushed red pepper flakes and aleppo pepper for extra heat
- 4-6 eggs*
- 2-3 oz. parmesan cheese, grated*
- Garnish: fresh basil or parsley
*MRC Clients: refer to your menu for exact protein portion size. This recipe uses 2 servings of eggs and 1 serving of hard cheese.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and cook peppers over medium heat for about 5 minutes (they should be softened).
- Add spinach to the pan, sauteeing for another minute until slightly wilted.
- Add Pomi, tomatoes, spices and herbs. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Make small indents on the top of the mixture for your eggs, and crack the eggs into these spaces (it’s okay if the whites spread out a little bit). Sprinkle with the cheese and cover the pan with a lid.
- Let cook for another 5-10 minutes, making sure not to overcook the eggs (you want the whites to be cooked through but the yolks to be runny). After five minutes, keep a close eye on the egg whites for doneness because exact cooking times will vary.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle with fresh basil or parsely and enjoy warm!
Makes 3 Servings | Serving Size: 1/3 recipe | One Serving Replaces: 1 protein, 1 vegetable