Baked Crustless Apple Pie
Honestly, is there a more perfect flavor match-made-in-heaven than cinnamon and apples? And when it comes to that flavor combo paired with "comfort food", few things do the trick like a warm, steaming slice of apple pie. Unfortunately, this dish is as comforting as it is rich in calories, fat, and carbs. So it's not the best match for those of us who are trying to eat healthier or lose weight. Always up for a good challenge, the cooks in the MRC Kitchen have come up with another winning healthier adaptation!
The apples, butter, and cinnamon need no replacing - these ingredients are all plan-friendly and can be conducive to health and weight loss! The crust, however, is where all of those carbs (and calories) live. So, we took some time to first think about what it is about a crust that makes an apple pie great. For us, it came down to the texture of the crust rather than the flavor (because let's be honest; crust by itself is pretty basic and bland). So, to keep that same element of crisp and crunch in each bite, we replaced the crust with oats! We actually like this version more because you get that crisp and crunch in EVERY bite (and not just the bites on the very outside like with a traditional slice of pie). Add to it just a touch of maple flavoring, and the resulting masterpiece is an ode to apples.
This recipe is simple to follow, fairly quick to complete, and is made with ingredients you likley already have in your kitchen! With a yield of three servings, you'll have enough to share with a couple other hungry mouths or enjoy over a couple days! While the obvious application for this recipe is a "dessert", we've found with a serving of low-fat cottage cheese or nonfat Greek yogurt, this recipe makes a superb breakfast and start to your day!
- 2 small-medium baking apples, halved vertically and cored
- 3 TBSP grass fed butter, melted
- 9 pkts of non-sugar sweetener, divided (we recommend Stevia "In the Raw" for this recipe)
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 2 TBSP uncooked Oats
- 1/8 tsp. Maple extract
- Optional: top with Walden Farms Caramel Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place each apple half flat side down and use a paring knife to score each apple half, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Lightly brush apple tops with a third of the melted butter, and sprinkle with 4 packets of sweetener.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until apples are soft and caramelized. Remove from oven and allow to cool while you prepare the crust filling.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining melted butter, 5 packets of sweetener, cinnamon, maple extract, and oats. Your mixture will be crumbly.
- Once apples have cooled enough to touch, spoon equal amounts of the crust mixture into the apple slits.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes more.
- Drizzle with warmed Walden Farms caramel and enjoy!
Makes 3 servings | Serving Size: 1 + 1/3 apple halves | One serving replaces: 1 carbohydrate, 1 healthy fat