In our opinion, French Toast is one of the best-kept breakfast secrets (or “breakfast for dinner” secrets) - and is far too underutilized. This recipe is about as SIMPLE as they come! Eggs, bread, and a griddle or frying pan is all you need to bring this one together! How can something so simple taste so delicious?! This is a recipe anyone can make - including those of you who consider yourselves “not a cook”.
Part of what makes this recipe so delicious is the versatility you have with dressing it up! And you’ve got a few different options when it comes to both the batter and your finished product. For us, we went ahead and added just a touch of vanilla extract and nutmeg extract to the batter to give it just a kiss of sweet flavor. You could also add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg and top with a sprinkle of zero-calorie sweetener after cooking to create Cinnamon Toast Crunch! You can never go wrong with butter melted on top and syrup (Walden Farms has a handful of different calorie-free options). Did you also know you can take your butter to the next level by melting it with maple extract or cinnamon first? The last thing we’ll say before we let you get to it, is that you’re probably going to have some leftover egg mixture. Go ahead and throw this in the pan and cook it up, too. French Toast and eggs - Bon Appetit!
- 2 eggs (suggestion: use 1 egg to coat the bread and scramble the other)
- 1 slice low calorie bread (approx 50 cals)
- 1 drop each: vanilla extract, nutmeg extract
- Scramble the eggs in a bowl.
- Add extracts and any spices you’d like and mix again.
- Dip bread in mixture, coating both sides.
- In a pan or griddle over medium heat, cook both sides until golden brown (should only take a couple of minutes each side).
Makes 1 Serving | Serving Size: entire recipe | One Serving Replaces: 1 protein, 1 carbohydrate