Five Reasons to Love Yogurt
Do you love yogurt? If so, you've got a head start on your weight loss goals. Yogurt is a favorite snack that's loaded with beneficial nutrients and can actually help you slim down. Here are five reasons to add it to your daily diet.
- Yogurt can help you lose weight: In one recent study by the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, researchers found that eating 18 ounces of yogurt a day helped participants lose 22 percent more weight and 81 percent more belly fat than dieters who didn't eat yogurt. These participants also retained one-third more lean muscle mass, which can help you burn calories and maintain weight loss.
- Yogurt is high in protein: Getting plenty of protein is key for weight loss, in part because it helps you to keep you feeling full and less likely to overeat or snack mindlessly. However, know that yogurt types and brands can vary greatly in their protein content. For instance, Greek yogurt, which is strained to make it thicker, has up to 20 grams of protein per container, while traditional yogurt may have as few as five grams.
- Yogurt is high in calcium: Research shows that getting plenty of calcium each day can boost your basal metabolic rate, which can aid in weight loss. One study funded by the National Dairy Council showed that a high-calcium, low-calorie diet boosted fat loss by 42 percent, compared to just 8 percent for with a low-calorie diet that lacked calcium.
- Yogurt can help your body recover after a workout: Just a cup of yogurt a day can help your body recover faster after strenuous exercise, making it a great post-workout snack. Protein provides the amino acids that your muscles need to repair themselves and the healthy carbohydrates that replace your muscles' depleted energy stores. Experts recommend pairing it with a bottle of water. Research suggests that the protein in yogurt may help increase the amount of water absorbed by the intestines, improving your hydration.
- Yogurt is packed with vitamins: One serving of a high-quality yogurt packs significant amounts of potassium, phosphorous, riboflavin, iodine, zinc, and vitamins B5 and B12, which maintains red blood cells and helps keep your nervous system functioning properly.
Choose a yogurt that's low in calories, fat and sugar that has at least 10 grams of protein per serving.
For more weight-loss tips and guidance, call 800-501-8090 and speak with a nutrition and exercise specialist at your nearest Metabolic Research Center.
SHARE THIS BLOG