Your Funny Bone Can Account for Five Pounds Per Year
You've probably heard that laughter is the best medicine. Fact is, laughter does trigger the release of endorphins, which are your body's feel good chemicals. This process naturally reduces stress hormones and increases your sense of well being to decrease hunger pangs and increase your body's resistance to disease. In fact, there is so much to love about laughter that it is probably greedy to hope for a weight loss advantage. But, that's exactly what two researchers at Loma Linda University did and with amazing results. The benefits uncovered by Dr. Lee Berk and Dr. Stanley Tan include:
1) Lowers Blood Pressure - High blood pressure puts you at risk for strokes and cardiovascular disease. In this case, laughter is the a good preventive medicine and its cheaper than a bottle of pills.
2) Reduces Stress Hormones - Reducing stress with the release of endorphins helps you manage anxiety and other ill effects. Plus, your body's immune system works much better when you're able to relieve stress that we naturally pick up during the day.
3) Tones Your Abs - Since the muscles in your stomach expand and contract, laughing is a healthy physical activity. So lighten up every day and enjoy the health benefits of a good laugh.
4) Improves Your Sense of Well Being - Laughing triggers the release of endorphins which work as a natural pain reliever to make you feel good. People with a more positive outlook on life tend to fight off diseases and live longer.
5) Is a Great Cardio Workout - When laughter is sustained, it gets your heart pumping (upward of 20% increase) and burns a similar amount of calories per hour as walking at a slow pace. Test results suggest that just 15 minutes of laugher daily can burn up to 50 calories.
Laughter also brings about a host of benefits and, although 50 calories may not sound like that much, it equates to about five pounds per year in weight reduction. So, hanging out with fun loving family and friends can lower your blood sugar, relieve chronic pain, provide a workout for certain muscles and make you feel better about your day.
SHARE THIS BLOG