8 Great Complex Carbs to Help You Slim Down
If you're working hard to lose weight, chances are you're going out of your way to cut carbs. In the case of simple carbs, that's a great move. But when it comes to complex carbs, you may be hurting your own weight loss efforts. In fact, complex carbs can actually be a great help in shedding extra pounds and keeping them off.
While simple carbs offer little to no nutritional value and can leave you still feeling hungry shortly after a meal, complex carbs can actually help you slim down. Because it takes your body more time and effort to digest them, complex carbs help you feel fuller longer. They also better stabilize your blood sugar, which helps to prevent those afternoon sweet treat cravings.
To that end, Metabolic Research Center recommends these eight great-tasting treats high in complex carbs:
- Sweet potatoes: Rich in vitamins B6, C, and D, too.
- Legumes: Options include black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas and lentils. They're best cooked from dry. If you do go the packaged route, read the labels and skip any with added sugar or sodium.
- Low fat cottage cheese: Versatile enough to be used as a fresh veggie dip or even a lower-calorie, lower-fat alternative to ricotta cheese in homemade lasagna. It's also packed with protein, vitamin B12, calcium and phosphorous.
- Whole wheat breads: They pack far more flavor and nutrients than white breads. Use it for healthy sandwiches or enjoy a slice toasted and topped with a little cottage cheese and fresh fruit.
- Whole wheat pasta: With far more nutritional value than white pasta, whole wheat pasta better retains nutrients and fiber when cooked.
- Quinoa: This grain relative is an energy-boosting superfood that's low in calories and packs a high amount of magnesium, which helps reduce fluid retention and is associated with lower levels of fasting glucose and insulin.
- Greek yogurt: It's also high in protein and super versatile. Enjoy it with fresh berries, nuts or in a healthy fruit smoothie.
- Raisins: It's got a bit of healthy sweetness and can be enjoyed alone or as a topping for fresh fruit mix,yogurt, cereal, oatmeal or quinoa.
For more delicious and healthy nutrition tips and recipes, visit the MRC website. And, for one-on-one guidance in developing and maintaining an effective weight loss plan, call 800-501-8090 and ask to speak with a nutrition and exercise specialist in your area.
SHARE THIS BLOG