Tips for Managing Holiday Treats
Desserts are hard to resist, especially around special occasions like the holidays. Whether you’re headed to a party or a holiday dinner with family, you’re going to encounter those holiday treats. If you want make sure you stay on track with your weight loss goals during the holidays, use the following tips to manage the festive sweets you eat.
- Bring a dessert yourself. This way you can control the amount of sugar used.
- Balance out your menu by cutting back on other carbs to allow for indulging in dessert.
- The holidays are about sharing, so share dessert with a loved one.
- Head out for a walk instead of indulging in dessert to avoid temptation.
- Choose lower calorie options. For example, pumpkin pie is a much lower calorie choice than pecan pie.
- Eat dessert slowly and enjoy every bite. You won’t need a big piece.
- Decide on just one treat to enjoy. Pick your favorite and leave the rest. You’ll still enjoy a holiday treat without sabotaging your weight loss plan.
- Make sure you fill up with high-protein foods during dinners so your blood sugar doesn’t spike and then drop when you do indulge in a sweet treat.
- Avoid skipping a meal to make up for a sweet treat. Skipping meals can make blood sugar drop, making you more likely to overindulge.
Don’t Deprive Yourself
Don’t feel like you need to deprive yourself during the holidays. If you want to enjoy a small amount of your holiday favorites, go ahead and enjoy it. Depriving yourself could lead you to binge later. Just remember that most holiday treats are high in carbs. Make sure you keep your portion sizes very small and reduce the amount of carbs you eat at other times of the day to allow for those sweet treats.
SHARE THIS BLOG