Eating Out While Watching Your Waistline
Eating out while watching your waistline can prove tricky. But with a little planning and know-how, you can successfully navigate a restaurant menu without totally undoing your weight loss plan. To that end, Metabolic Research Center offers these eight great tips for eating well while eating out.
- Order water: Down a glass of water before you beginyour meal will help you feel full faster with no added calories.
- Ask for a box: American restaurant portions are notoriously large. Ask for a to-go box and split your meal in half before getting started. This will help in practicing portion control. Plus, taking home leftovers will save you some cash on your next meal.
- Savor each bite: It takes a while for your brain to register that your belly is full. Chew each bite slowly and put your fork or spoon down between bites. Chatting up your dinner companion helps, too.
- Skip the bread: Bread is a common free appetizer because it's inexpensive for restaurants to offer. But it can pack on lots of extra, empty calories. Politely decline when the bread basket comes your way, and once it's been passed around the table, ask the server to take it back so that it won't remain a temptation.
- Start with salad or soup:Chosen well, either will help fill you up, assuring you'll eat less when your main course comes.Ask for salad dressing on the side (the same goes for sauces) and avoid Caesar salads, which come pre-dressed and can really pack the calories. Choose vegetable or bean-based soups over cream-based.
- Be smart about sides: Skip the carbs like potatoes or rice in favor of a double helping of vegetables instead.
- Opt for lean proteins: Order low-fat cuts of meat, poultry, fish or shellfish. Make sure their broiled or grilled, rather than battered or fried.
- Finish with fruit: If others insist upon desert, don't be tempted by the decadent high-calorie treats. Instead, opt for fresh fruits and berries minus the cream.
A well-designed daily nutrition plan can help keep you on a healthy, weight loss-friendly track. Call 800-501-8090 to talk with an experienced weight loss specialist at your nearest Metabolic Research Center location today.
SHARE THIS BLOG