Root Vegetables: Try Cooking in a Tagine
Root vegetables are not only healthy additions to your diet; they are outstandingly good to eat and will support your weight loss plan. We grow up eating popular types of root vegetables, such as carrots and potatoes.
Most of these are side dishes, but the truth is, most can stand-alone as a main dish too. In this blog, we discuss some of the options for choosing root vegetables as well as some of the healthy and delicious ways to cook them.
Get a Tagine for Healthy Meals
A Tagine is a must have for any kitchen that is serious about cooking. These clay cookers can either be used on top of the stove or in the oven. A decent sized Tagine runs $25-$50. Why do you need a Tagine. They cook root vegetables and meats perfectly usually in 45 minutes to an 1-hour, and they do so in a healthy way. Tagines are standard cookware for Moroccan cooking, but the make an excellent addition to western cooking.
Excellent Roots Worthy of Indulging
- Carrots: Carrots are full of good things. They are high in Vitamin A, which adds to good eye health. They are full of fiber which is also a great tool for weight loss. The bonus with carrots is that they are a good source of antioxidants which means that they help keep your skin beautiful.
- Potatoes: Potatoes have been deemed by many as the world's healthiest food. They are mega contributors to our daily intake of Vitamin B6 - 30+ percent. Potassium 35+ percent and Vitamin C 22+ percent. They also are a significant source of fiber at 15+ percent. The trick with potatoes is not to fry them. To find healthy ways to eat potatoes, visit the Metabolic Research Center where their library of healthy recipes inspires weight loss and improved wellness.
- Parsnips: Parsnips look like white carrots, and they are good to eat and good for you. They are a high source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, Folate, and Potassium. Parsnips help boost immune efficiency thanks to the Vitamin C. They help with weight loss thanks to the huge amount of dietary fiber. They taste good too, so kids will eat them. They can be a great sweet treat.
- Onions: Onions are full of Phytochemicals — Chemicals that fight or prevent cancer. They are loaded up with Vitamin C. They are a good source of Chromium, which is an essential element for maintaining good blood sugar levels. When used correctly, onions as good flavor to salads, soups, casseroles, and main dishes.
- Garlic: Garlic is a wonderful food. It is full of good things like Manganese at 20+ percent, Vitamin B6 at 15+ percent, Vitamin C at 15 percent, and even Vitamin B1. Most of us are familiar with garlic, while others have a mad love affair with the bulb.
All of the root vegetables make a stand alone side dish or when mixed in a Tagine create a wonderful main course mix. Roasted, boiled, steamed or Tagines, let yourself enjoy the healthy benefits of roots.
SHARE THIS BLOG