10 Tips for Keeping Stress at Bay
Did you know that prolonged stress can cause you to gain weight? High levels of stress can stimulate the body's production of cortisol, a top culprit in the development of belly fat. It's that extra midsection fat that's associated with multiple health conditions, such as high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes.
Effectively managing your stress can help to whittle your waist and lower your risk of a range of health ailments. To that end, Metabolic Research Center offers these 10top stress-busting tips.
- Learn to manage your time well - including saying no to commitments you're just not excited about keeping.
- Let go of what you can't control and focus on the things you can.
- Do the work you love and delegate the rest.
- Set and keep boundaries for yourself and those around you.
- Get at least seven to nine hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
- Get plenty of exercise, including cardio and weight training. Studies show regular exercise can help reducing fatigue, improving alertness and concentration and boost your body's production of feel-good cerebral chemicals serotonin and dopamine.
- Cut yourself a break.
- Celebrate victories - even the little ones.
- Head outdoors. A recent study showed that Scottish residents who live in areas with lots of greenspace have lower levels of cortisol than do residents in urban areas.
- Laugh more. Not only does it lift your mood, but it also can strengthen your immune system, boost your body's production of HDL cholesterol (the good type), reduce blood sugar, relieve pain, relax muscles, brighten skin tone and burn calories.
Metabolic Research Center specializes in helping clients to develop healthy, active, weight loss-friendly lifestyles. Call 800-501-8090 to schedule an appointment today.
SHARE THIS BLOG