Five Tips for Speeding Up Your Metabolism
If you're serious about losing weight, you're likely focused on boosting your metabolism - a top factor in healthy, sustainable weight loss. To that end, Metabolic Research Center offers five tips that will speed up your metabolism and boost your efforts to slim down:
- Don't skip out on breakfast: Many weight loss hopefuls skip breakfast, believing one less meal means fewer pounds. That's a mistake. The truth is that ahealthy, high-fiber breakfast actually aids in weight loss by kick starting your metabolism and helping you to feel fuller throughout the day.
- Drink up: Not getting enough water can put real damper on your metabolism. Even mild dehydration will slow it down by as much as three percent. But research published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that drinking just 17 ounces of water can give you a 30-percent increase in your metabolic rate that lasts up to 40 minutes.
- Bring on the heat: Eating spicy foods will temporarily boost your internal body heat, which can lend a metabolism boost and stimulate the use of stored fat as energy. Plus, spicy foods tend to make you feel fuller quicker, reducing the chances of overeating at meals or snacking throughout the day. So, kick up the flavor with jalapeños, chili peppers, curry or cayenne.
- Load up on calcium: Research shows that getting more calcium can increase your basal metabolic rate, which can significantly aid in weight loss. One National Dairy Council-funded study showed that a high-calcium, low-calorie diet boosted fat loss by 42 percent, compared to just eight percent for with a low-calorie diet that lacked in calcium.
- Go to bed: Research by the University of Wisconsin and Stanford University found that adults who regularly slept for only five hours a night saw their levels of hunger-inducing ghrelin increase by 14.9 percent, and their levels of appetite-suppressing leptin drop by 15.5 percent. As a result, they felt hungrier and ate more throughout the day, packing on extra calories and pounds. Health and weight loss experts recommend that adults getseven to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
To help get you on a healthy, weight loss-focused track, call 800-501-8090 to schedule a consultation at your nearest Metabolic Research Center.
SHARE THIS BLOG