Eight Great Ways to Whittle Your Waist
Even in those who have been slim all their lives, the dreaded muffin top can hit unexpectedly, typically around the age of 40. But it doesn’t have to be simply a fact of life. Metabolic Research Center offers eight great tips for battling the bulge and giving your muffin top a makeover.
- Focus on your core: Working your body's core muscles - those in your back, chest and abdomen - burns more calories and fat than does working other areas like the arms and legs.
- Crank up the cardio: Regular cardio exercise and activities like swimming, running, interval training anddancing helps you burn excess calories before they turn into fat.
- Get smart about carbs: Complex carbs found in fruits, vegetables and whole grains are less easily converted to fat than simple carbs found in carbonated drinks, chocolates and white pasta and breads.
- Get a protein boost:Studies show that adding lean protein to your diet can help you feel fuller, boost your metabolism, lose fat and retain muscle mass.
- Fuel up on fiber:High-fiber foods and treats can keep you feeling full and less likely to fill up on high-calorie and fattening junk foods throughout the day.
- Slash your sugar consumption: Sugar isn't just in pastries and pastas. You may be surprised at the amount of sugar in seemingly harmless items like jarred tomato sauces, salad dressings, breakfast cereals and coffee creamers.
- Nix alcohol:By-products of alcohol metabolism are converted to fatty acids, which are stored in the liver and sent to the bloodstream, raising the level of lipids in your blood, and thereby your risk for heart disease. Plus, it's a whole lot of empty calories with no nutritional value.
- Manage stress:The stress hormone cortisol causes the body to deposit fat in the abdomen, creating the dangerous belly fat that's associated with multiple obesity-related conditions, such as high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes.
Ready to battle your bulging mid-section? Call 800-501-8090 and schedule an appointment with a weight loss specialist at your nearest Metabolic Research Center location.
SHARE THIS BLOG