Eight Weight-Loss Friendly Midday Snacks
While snacking may seem counterintuitive to weight loss efforts, smart snacking can actually help boost your chances of successfully shedding pounds. By mid-afternoon, most people are starting to get the munchies. But holding out until evening increases the chance you'll overdo it at the dinner table. That's because your blood sugar dips every three to five hours after a meal, sending your body into hunger mode. Enjoying a small mid-afternoon snack will help keep your appetite satisfied and your metabolism revved up.
Here are eight tasty treats that will help tide you over until dinnertime without packing on the fat or calories.
- Sliced cucumbers and yogurt dressing: Cucumbers are low in calories, while yogurt is packed with vitamins and shown to help you shed belly fat.
- Celery sticks with natural peanut butter: It's packed with healthy unsaturated fats and filling fiber.
- Pumpkin seeds: Just one seed provides upward of 75 percent of the daily recommended allowance of magnesium, which helps to avoid excess water retention. It's also packed with protein and fiber, which helps keep you feeling full.
- Half an avocado: Loaded with fiber, protein and oleic acid, a compound in healthy monounsaturated fats believed to trigger the body to actually quiet hunger.
- Cashews: Cashews have lower fat content than most other nuts. Plus, upward of 82 percent of their fat content is unsaturated fatty acids and 66 percent of that is heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Chickpeas: They're a significant source of fiber and protein, and keep your carb craving at bay maintaining your blood sugar levels.
- Kale chips: If you're a sucker for fattening potato chips, substitute them for kale chips instead. Toss with a bit of olive oil and bake on low for about 15 minutes until they're crispy. It's fat-free, low in calories, high in fiber and packed with beneficial vitamins and mineral.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks: It's rich in calcium, which actually burns more calories during digestion.
Find more delicious, weight loss-friendly snacks on the Metabolic Research Center website. And if you need some guidance in developing a healthy nutrition and exercise plan, do a quick search or call 800-501-8090 for the MRC location nearest you.
SHARE THIS BLOG