How to Keep Pounds Off During the Holidays
What is your holiday eating strategy this year? For so many people, it ends up being the "indulge now and fad diet later" plan. This is an ineffective strategy! If you've made the decision to eat and live healthier, then it's a good idea to stick with it no matter what time of year it is. The good news is that it's possible to enjoy the holidays, eat foods you love and still stick to the plan. You do this by being mindful of the foods you eat and employing some simple strategies to help you stay on track.
The Family Holiday Meal
If you're like most people, you will attend more than one family holiday gathering. The tables will be loaded with food and tasty treats. How do you not over-indulge? There are a few ways to manage it:
- Don't show up starving. This leads to over-eating.
- Eat small portions, and fill up on whole foods. This means loading up more lean meats and veggies, and only adding small amounts of fillers.
- Bring a healthy dessert. You probably aren't the only one who would appreciate a lighter choice! Of course you can sample a couple bits of some richer treats, just keep it in check!
Holidays at the Workplace
This is probably more detrimental than the family meals! Treats flood into the workplace and you find yourself inundated with cookies, candies, potlucks and company parties. How do you handle this! The strategies here are similar:
- Once again, don't let yourself get hungry! Hunger is a huge culprit. If you go too long without food and someone shows up with a plate of cookies it's not going to go well. Eat healthy meals on time and pack yourself healthy snacks.
- Practice saying NO. You don't have to eat the food just because it's there.
- Avoid over-indulging in cocktails throughout the season. This is another culprit! Alcoholic beverages are loaded with sugar and carbs. They cause bloating and result in a variety of other issues, so it's best to limit intake.
These are just a few suggestions to help you stay on track during the holidays. If you need help getting on track to begin with, contact Metabolic Research Center. We have over 25 years of experience helping people like you get healthy and lose weight without fad diets and starving yourself.
SHARE THIS BLOG