Five Top Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts
You may have hated them as a kid, but you'll love them as an adult - especially if you're looking to lose weight. Brussels sprouts are enjoying newfound popularity as a health and weight loss superfood. Here's why…
- Brussels sprouts can help you lose weight: Their densely-packed leaves pack upward of five grams of fiber per cup - more than 15 percent of the US recommended daily allowance, which means it doesn't take much to fill you up. Yet, they have just 25 calories per half-cup cooked.
- Brussels sprouts can help lower your cholesterol:When steamed, Brussels sprouts' high fiber content helps to lower cholesterol by binding with bile acids that the liver produces from cholesterol for digesting fat. The more fiber, the more fat burned and the more cholesterol eliminated from your body.
- Brussels sprouts help prevent cancer: PubMed, the National Library of Medicine's online research database, features nearly 100 studies focused on Brussels sprouts and more than half of them are centered on the cruciferous vegetable's health benefits in relation to cancer. Brussels sprouts are full of glucosinolates, chemical compounds that break down into known cancer-fighting compounds that your body uses to protect your cells and DNA and to deactivate carcinogens.
- Brussels sprouts can strengthen your immune system:They're loaded with vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium and folate - all known contributors to a healthy immune system that help your body fight off viruses, including the common cold, and infections.
- Brussels sprouts help keep you looking young: They're high in free radical-fighting antioxidants, which help to reduce wrinkles and environmental damage to your skin. A serving provides more than half the US RDA of Vitamin C, which plays a key role in your body's production of collagen, which keeps your skin plump, firm and elastic. Meanwhile, vitamin A fights off sun damage and manganese reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
For more healthy eating tips and one-on-one guidance to help you slim down, visit your nearest Metabolic Research Center. Visit us online or call 800-501-8090 to find the location closest to you and to find our favorite Brussels sprouts recipe - oven-roasted sprouts with bacon.
SHARE THIS BLOG