Eight Top Tips for Whittling Your Waist
Muffin top, spare tire, love handles - If you’re battling a bulging midsection, you're likely looking for a sustainable slim-down solution. Weight loss counselors with Metabolic Research Center offer these eight great tips.
- Pack on the protein: Studies show that adding lean protein to your diet can help you feel fuller, boost your metabolism, lose fat and retain muscle mass.
- Fuel up on fiber: High-fiber foods and treats can keep you feeling full and less likely to fill up on high-calorie and fattening junk foods throughout the day.
- Know your carbs:Not all carbs are created equal. Complex carbs found in fruits, vegetables and whole grains are less easily converted to fat than simple carbs found in carbonated drinks, chocolates and white pasta and breads.
- Cut out the sugar: Sugar isn't just in pastries and pastas. You may be surprised at the amount of sugar in seemingly harmless items like jarred tomato sauces, salad dressings, breakfast cereals and coffee creamers.
- Crank up the cardio: Regular cardio exercise and activities like swimming, running, interval training and dancing helps you burn excess calories before they become fat.
- Exercise your core: Working your body's core muscles - those in your back, chest and abdomen - burns more calories and fat than does working other areas like your legs and arms.
- Skip the alcohol: By-products of alcohol metabolism are converted to fatty acids, which are stored in the liver and sent to the bloodstream, raising the level of lipids in your blood, and thereby your risk for heart disease. Plus, it's a whole lot of empty calories with no nutritional value.
- De-stress:When you stress out, it stimulates your body's production of cortisol, known as the stress hormone. This can cause your body to deposit fat in the abdomen, creating the dangerous belly fat that's been linked with a myriad of obesity-related conditions, such as high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes.
Boost your efforts to battle your bulge with a call to Metabolic Research Center. Call 800-501-8090 to schedule a consultation with a weight loss specialist at the MRC location nearest you.
SHARE THIS BLOG