Eight Great Snacks to Keep the Midday Munchies at Bay
You had a satisfying lunch, but that was hours ago and how, you're getting the mid-afternoon munchies. While snacking may seem counterintuitive to your weight loss efforts, smart snacking can actually help boost your chances of successfully shedding pounds by revving up your metabolism, normalizing your blood sugar and helping you to feel full so that you won't overdo it at the dinner table later on. Here are eight tasty treats that will help tide you over without packing on the fat or calories.
- Cashews: Cashews have lower fat content than most other nuts. Plus, upward of 82 percent of their fat content is unsaturated fatty acids and 66 percent of that is heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Chickpeas: They're a significant source of fiber and protein, and keep your carb craving at bay maintaining your blood sugar levels.
- Kale chips: If you're a sucker for fattening potato chips, substitute them for kale chips instead. Toss with a bit of olive oil and bake on low for about 15 minutes until they're crispy. It's fat-free, low in calories, high in fiber and packed with beneficial vitamins and mineral.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks: It's rich in calcium, which actually burns more calories during digestion.
- Sliced cucumbers and yogurt dressing: Cucumbers are low in calories, while yogurt is packed with vitamins and shown to help you shed belly fat.
- Celery sticks with natural peanut butter: It's packed with healthy unsaturated fats and filling fiber.
- Pumpkin seeds: Just one seed provides upward of 75 percent of the daily recommended allowance of magnesium, which helps to avoid excess water retention. It's also packed with protein and fiber, which helps keep you feeling full.
- Half an avocado: Loaded with fiber, protein and oleic acid, a compound in healthy monounsaturated fats believed to trigger the body to actually quiet hunger.
Find more delicious, weight loss-friendly snacks on the Metabolic Research Center website. And if you need more guidance in developing and maintaining a healthy nutrition and exercise plan, call 800-501-8090 for the MRC location nearest you.
SHARE THIS BLOG