Eight Great Tips for Battling the Bulge
Spare tire, muffin top, love handles - No matter what you call it, if your midsection is expanding, you're likely looking for a quick and sustainable solution. Metabolic Research Center offers these eight great tips.
- Know your carbs: Not all carbs are bad. Complex carbs found in fruits, vegetables and whole grains are less easily converted to fat than simple carbs found in carbonated drinks, chocolates and white pasta and breads.
- Boost your protein intake: Studies show that adding lean protein to your diet can help you feel fuller, boost your metabolism, lose fat and retain muscle mass.
- Fuel up on fiber: High-fiber foods and treats can keep you feeling full and less likely to fill up on high-calorie and fattening junk foods throughout the day.
- Cut your sugar consumption: Sugar isn't just in pastries and pastas. You may be surprised at the amount of sugar in seemingly harmless items like jarred tomato sauces, salad dressings, breakfast cereals and coffee creamers.
- Skip the alcohol: By-products of alcohol metabolism are converted to fatty acids, which are stored in the liver and sent to the bloodstream, raising the level of lipids in your blood, and thereby your risk for heart disease. Plus, it's a whole lot of empty calories with no nutritional value.
- Work your core: Working your body's core muscles - those in your back, chest and abdomen - burns more calories and fat than does working other areas like your legs and arms.
- Crank up your cardio: Regular cardio exercise and activities like swimming, running, interval training anddancing helps you burn excess calories before theybecome fat.
- Manage stress:When you're under stress, your body kickstarts production of cortisol, known as the stress hormone. This can cause your body to deposit fat in the abdomen, creating the dangerous belly fat that's associated with multiple obesity-related conditions, such as high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes.
Battle your bulge with a call to Metabolic Research Center. Call 800-501-8090 to schedule an appointment with a weight loss specialist at the MRC location nearest you.
SHARE THIS BLOG